Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s not always easy to find the best gardening books for beginners. I love gardening and have been doing it for years but at one point, I was a beginner searching for information. Some very popular gardening books were just too much information for me when I was just getting started.
Best Gardening Books for Beginners
All I really wanted to know about gardening when I first started was what to plant, how to get it to live and how to get vegetables from it. I didn’t want long, complex explanations of soil chemistry or how to cross two different plant varieties by self-pollinating them. All I wanted to do was keep the plants alive long enough to get food from them.
- Rodale’s Basic Organic Gardening. I’m a huge fan of all of the Rodale books and this is no exception. Lots of great information in one place.
- Gardening for Dummies. This series is one of my favorites. They put all of the explanations in easy to understand format with lots of examples.
- Companion Gardening for Beginners. Certain plants just grow better next to other plants. This book puts the explanation in an easy to understand format.
- Low-Cost Gardening – A Recycled Garden. If you want to learn to grow vegetables inexpensively, this is the book you need to start with.
- The Gardener’s A-Z Guide to Growing Flowers from Seed to Bloom. If you are more interested in flowers than vegetables, I recommend this book.
- Container Gardening for Beginners. Container gardening is a great option for those who have a limited amount of space.
- How a Seed Grows. Get the kids in on the fun in the garden with How a Seed Grows.
There are many different types of gardening and everyone has their favorite. If you find you don’t enjoy vegetable gardening, don’t give up, try fruits or flowers instead. Just get out there in the sunshine and try to grow something today.
Do you have a favorite I’ve forgotten?
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. In what little spare time she has, she loves to read, watch movies and play games. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.