Last Updated on July 6, 2020 by ellen
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wouldn’t you love to have a Downton Abbey viewing party? I know I would. I’ve been a fan of the show for years and would definitely enjoy having a few friends over for a viewing party one afternoon. If you’re not familiar with Downton Abbey, it’s a British historical drama that follows the lives of the Crawley family and their servants in the family’s Georgian country house (which is really like a Castle). The series begins in 1912 and follow’s the family’s lives. There are a total of six seasons of Downton Abbey and the sixth (and final) season is now available on DVD. A product was provided and this post contains affiliate links.
What You Need to Have a Downton Abbey Viewing Party
The perfect way to enjoy season six of Downton Abbey is with a viewing party for a few friends. Season 6 opens in 1925 with a series of crises reflecting the momentous changes that are transforming society. Women’s rights have given Lady Mary and Lady Edith new positions of responsibility: Mary runs the estate, and Edith manages the magazine she inherited from Michael Gregson. Meanwhile, Tom Branson has left for Boston, and newlyweds Lady Rose and Atticus Aldridge are trying their luck in Jazz Age New York. Anna Bates faces a murder charge though many still suspect her husband. And for the rest of the servants, big doubts hang over their jobs. Will great houses and the fortunes that support them soon be gone?
- To set the stage for Downton Abbey, it’s time to brush up on your Jazz music. 1925 is right in the middle of the Roaring Twenties so consider music from Louis Armstrong or Duke Ellington.
- A tea party is always an appropriate party theme for Downton Abbey. Be certain to look for real teacups with matching saucers at thrift stores if you don’t have your own. Offer your guests a variety of finger sandwiches, pastries, or cream puffs to go along with the tea. I recommend an English Breakfast tea.
- Remember to add a few vases of fresh flowers to the dining room table. Roses would work perfectly for a table display in a crystal vase. Even better, add a candelabra with ivory taper candles or a pair of candlesticks on either side of the flowers.
- Dressing up in fashions from the twenties would be loads of fun but if you can’t manage that, at least, try to incorporate a cloche style hat with flowers or a flapper headband for effect.
- Of course, you also need Downtown Abbey Season 6 (the final season) to watch at your viewing party. This contains 9 hours of viewing material on 3 discs so you will need to choose your favorite episodes.
I had such a difficult time choosing which of these episodes was my favorite. I really think that episode six was my favorite when they have the open house at Downton Abbey. I do love the Dowager and she has several really memorable lines in this episode. Season 6 is definitely one of my favorite seasons and I love that this DVD includes information on the Cars of Downton Abbey. My husband loved that part! Whichever episodes you plan for your Downton Abbey viewing party, you will definitely want to buy a copy of Season 6 on DVD today.
The DVD SRP is $49.99 and the Blu-ray SRP is $59.99. The DVD and Blu-ray sets contain all of Season 6, including the finale. The DVD and Blu-ray feature the original U.K. edition of Season 6 as well as more than 30 minutes of bonus video. The program will also be available for digital download.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. In what little spare time she has, she loves to read, watch movies and play games. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.