Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I eagerly awaited summer vacation as a child because it meant that I could spend the day reading my favorite books. Yes, I was definitely a bookworm as a child and that really hasn’t changed much now that I am an adult. Reading is still one of my favorite pastimes and if I had more hours in my day, I would definitely spend more time reading.
Summer Reading List for Tweens
Yes, there are a lot of new books that have been released since I was a tween but both of my children have always enjoyed what I consider the classics from my youth. In many cases, the writing is more wholesome and the topics more appropriate than some books marketed towards tweens today. These books were on my summer reading list for tweens when my kids were younger and still work well today. This post contains affiliate links.
- The Witch’s Buttons by Ruth Chew
- The Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Wrinkle in Time series by Madeleine L’Engle
- The Boxcar Children Books by Gertrude Chandler Warmer
- Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
- Stuart Little by EB White
- The Borrowers by Mary Norton
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis
- The Secret of the Old Clock (or any Nancy Drew book)
- The Secret of the Mansion (or any Trixie Belden book)
- The Tower Treasure (or any Hardy Boys book)
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Many of the books on this summer reading list for tweens can be purchased in Kindle version if your child likes to read books electronically. Or, you can purchase the paperback or hardcover if you prefer. If your tween is younger, editions are available with illustrations in “starter” style instead of the full unabridged edition of some of the classics.